Week 11: Normal

I had a pretty normal week. I went to work. I hung out with my family. That’s about it. Nothing special. Weeks like this come and go and most the time I don’t give them much thought. However, now that I am writing this blog, I have become more reflective. As I thought about the week, I found myself focusing on little things that annoyed me. Isn’t it funny how we do this? Instead of thinking about all the good things, we think about all the bad things--and they aren’t even bad! They are just “normal.” Here’s a vague list of things that annoyed me this week. You can play, too. Check off the ones that annoyed you.  


⃞ The weather.
⃞ Traffic or a commute.  
⃞ Something or someone’s actions at work.
⃞ Something or someone’s actions in my family.
⃞ Some minor illness or minor pain.
⃞ Money or lack thereof.
⃞ Some sort of bureaucracy (government, insurance company, etc…).
⃞ Other.


How many did you get? Eight out of eight? Seven? Six? If less than six, good for you. I was a solid eight out of eight this week, and I could have probably added a few if I thought about it more.


I was in this mindset when I heard something on the radio that jolted me out of my selfish world. It was Friday and I was listening to NPR. They were interviewing Syrians about the recent chemical attack and the American response. One woman’s words struck a cord. She said:


"We're tired inside. We're tired of planes. We want to live a normal life."
-Muznah al-Jundi   
Article   


When Muznah al-Jundi said the words, “We want to live a normal life” I felt a huge burden of guilt. I didn’t feel guilty because I had something she didn’t have. There was nothing I could do about that. The guilt I felt was because I didn’t appreciate what I did have. I didn’t appreciate my “normal” week. Muznah wishes she could complain about the weather and traffic. She longs for the days that her biggest stresses are her relationships at home and work. She can probably barely remember what it feels like to complain about a cold or a rash. She would love to balance a family budget and decide if her family could afford a vacation or a home improvement project. She would gladly wait on hold with her insurance agent to discuss a claim.


Instead, she is stuck in the middle of a civil war. Her government recently deployed chemical weapons on its own citizens, and now the USA and Russia are at a standstill on how to move forward. Muznah’s little corner of the world has gone from “normal” to the center of hell in the matter of a few years.


A child receives treatment following the suspected gas attack.


And here I am in another corner of the world complaining. What a fool I am.


Like most people in the world, I feel helpless when I read about the Syrian Civil War or other atrocities around the world. I don’t know what I can do. However, Muznah al-Jundi gave me an idea. I can honor the suffering of others by appreciating the simple things they long for. I can see the small challenges in my life as blessings. I can change the value of a “normal life.” I can relish a “normal life.” We all can.


That’s our homework this week. When the rain ensnares our morning commute. Be grateful. When someone at work or home tries our patience. Be grateful. When a common illness slows us down. Be grateful. When we have to make daily decisions about money, insurance or anything else. Be grateful.

We all pray for peace and wish to ease the suffering around the world but then we turn around and complain about our “normal lives.” Let’s continue to pray for peace and an end to suffering around the world but let’s honor those who are suffering by appreciating our “normal lives.” That’s the least we can do.      

Comments

  1. Thank you, Mike. I needed to read this. It's a good discipline to commit to doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tommy. I agree. I need to remember how I am feeling this week every other week of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you hit the nail on the head. In our country, we have so much to be grateful for. In our lives, the same is true.
    I hope I can stop complaining about the little things that make up a routine, normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Mom. Sorry for the delayed reply. Writing about this stuff keeps me focused on what matters in life. I'm glad reading it is helpful for you too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Inconvenienced Majority

I killed Adam Toledo

A Piece of Cloth