Week 2: Pride

Like most Americans I have always been proud to be an American. We were taught at an early age that we (Americans) have inherited the dream that was Athens and Rome. We read about Enlightenment thinkers like Locke and Montesquieu and we beamed with pride knowing that the Founding Fathers bled for those ideas and our country was born.


Kids 4th of july .JPG
Walsh-Lunkes cousins on the 4th of July. The next generation of proud Americans.
(From Left: Audrey, Maddie and Pete, Nate, Dottie, Leah)


The funny thing is, for most Americans, even White ones like me, we have no ancestral ties to those Founding Fathers. Most of our ancestors weren’t here yet. Mine didn’t start coming until the late 19th century, with the last ones arriving at Ellis Island in the 1930s. Should I not feel that pride? Should African Americans not feel the pride because their ancestors were enslaved by those same Founding Fathers? What about Native Americans? Their ancestors were already here and then mistreated beyond belief. Should they not be proud to be American? Lastly, what about the immigrant that arrived yesterday? Is it justifiable that I should feel more pride to be American than them?     


If America is static, then all of us are unjustified in our pride. If that was the case, then only those that can trace their lineage to the Revolution should feel pride. However, AMERICA IS NOT STATIC. The Founding Fathers gave us a framework and we have built that into the best country the world has ever seen. We did that! Everyone along the way. Everyone has their stories. Talk to any American and you will hear…  “My uncle landed on D-Day.” “My pastor marched with Dr. King.” My Grandmother was part Sioux.” “My mom protested Roe v. Wade.” “My Father came here with nothing.” “My cousin picketed with Chavez.” The list of contributions to what America has become goes on and on. It belongs to all of us; from the descendants of the Founding Fathers to the immigrants who arrived yesterday.


Dad Navy Doc.png
My Dad. Son of Irish immigrants. Navy doctor.


The events of the past week threaten our American story. Donald Trump wants to put “America First” but he is doing so by making it static. America is not something that can be contained. If you try to contain the dream, then you've lost it. You create an “us and them” situation. Some groups become more “American” than others. How can that be? It doesn’t make sense. How are the Latin American immigrants today different than the European immigrants of the 19th and 20th centuries? We were sure glad we had them when they built our cities and defended our freedoms in two World Wars. How are today's refugees different than the ones fleeing totalitarianism in Europe in the 1920-30s? We were sure glad that Einstein and other great minds flocked to our shores bringing with them innovation that helped us flourish in the post-war era. What great things will today's immigrants and refugees do that will contribute to the American story?  


That pride I was talking about has been bubbling up in me in the past few weeks. It’s weird timing, I know. How can I be proud to be American at at time like this? It’s you. Americans. You have moved me. I’ve been moved before. On September 11, 2001 I went home to my apartment in a Mexican immigrant neighborhood in Chicago and the streets were lined with American flags. I was moved. When Barack Obama won the presidency and my Dad, who lived through the Civil Rights movement, said “We did it! We judged a man by the content of his character and not the color of his skin.” I was moved. And I have been moved these past few weeks. Since I started this blog I’ve received messages from as far away as Rwanda and Ireland expressing concern and spreading positive vibes. I’ve been sent pictures of family and friends at the Women’s Marches. Friends from Pennsylvania have reached out to me to tell me that they have contacted their elected representatives to oppose executive orders. Friends from Baltimore went to BWI (Baltimore Washington Airport) to demonstrate support for people being detained simply because they are from one of the seven countries now banned.


girls at the march.jpg
My sisters-in-law Erin and Amanda at the Women’s March in Chicago


Cindy protest.JPG
My friend Cindy at BWI supporting her neighbors.


What will our children and and grandchildren say about us? Will we be part of the American story that has them beaming with pride? Will they reference us when they talk about what happened when Trump threatened the American story? What will they say?  


“My ___________________ did _______________ when Trump tried to _________________.


It’s up to us, Americans. Fill in the blanks!


Comments

  1. I agree, weird time to feel American pride, but the way you describe it is justified and logical. Thanks for the positive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tia. We have two choices. 1. Let ourselves be divided. 2. Become united in opposition. I am seeing the latter. It's scary but exciting. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fill in the blank sentence.
    As a history teacher myself, I often find myself wondering, what will the legacy of these years be? How will they be recorded and documented? Like Native American history, will some voices be silenced from the dominant narrative? Whose truth matters in a time when everyone can witness events unfolding real time? To what extent do eyewitness accounts matter in reporting? Will First Amendment protections on speech, religion, the press, peaceable assembly, and petitioning the government change in the next few years? Pride in being American is recognizing that it has been a struggle to apply the ideals from the founding to all people, and becoming a part of that struggle.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments and questions Tommy. Well said. We need to fight to make sure all people are part of the narrative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Inconvenienced Majority

I killed Adam Toledo

A Piece of Cloth